Wednesday, January 16, 2013

BE NOT AFRAID WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE MUCH


Reflections on I Kings 15:8-22, 2 Chron 16:7-14
The life of King Asa never fails to puzzle me. How did the king who reformed become the one who rebelled, I wondered many times:

King Asa, young and fearful, “did what was right” –
Reforms, revivals, removal of idolatrous sites.
For 38 years, he ruled in peace;
His only war cry, “Lord, help me please!”

Then Baasha attacked on the 39th year,
And Asa befriended Aram out of fear;
“I’m not a child, stop saying God is displeased!”
“I’ll send you to jail!” he shouted at Hanani.

So God struck him with a disease, he became sick in his feet;
He saw every doctor but refused to submit
To the God of his youth, who fought all his battles;
He’d rather die than bow before the Healer.

Why, tell me, why did Asa end so wrong?
Did he have more to lose when he became strong?
Did he stop being a child because he grew old?
Did he forget to be fearful when he became bold?

Be not afraid when you don’t have much –
God delivers, God heals, He’s Someone you can trust.
Tremble and guard your heart, you know when the troubles start;
When you turn to your own knowledge and gifts – when you think you're too smart.

No comments:

love the ocean - God made it for Himself

About Me

In the Old Testament in the Bible, there was a man named Jacob who "wrestled with God and man." He wouldn't let God go until God answered his prayers. God admired that and renamed him Israel, "the one who fought or wrestled and prevailed". He fought with man--his inner man--and conquered his own weaknesses. He's my hero. He is what I hope God and man see me to be.