Tuesday, December 18, 2012

IT PROFITS ME NOTHING

Reflections from I Cor 13:

I can preach (and sing and teach and lead worship over the pulpit) with eloquence, and yet not love my audience.

I can speak into people’s lives and not see their struggles, cast vision for my members and not care about their going-ons, evangelize and not engage, convert and not connect.

I may have such faith that I move mountains - but not touch my own hardened heart.

I may be so sacrificial that I spare nothing – not any of my possessions, not even my physical comfort – and don’t bother to remember the names of my receivers or hold their hands or look into their eyes.

If I do what I do because it’s what I do best;
it’s what is right to do and expected of me;
it’s what gives meaning and power to my miserable existence,


 “it profits me nothing” (I Cor 13:3).

No comments:

love the ocean - God made it for Himself

About Me

In the Old Testament in the Bible, there was a man named Jacob who "wrestled with God and man." He wouldn't let God go until God answered his prayers. God admired that and renamed him Israel, "the one who fought or wrestled and prevailed". He fought with man--his inner man--and conquered his own weaknesses. He's my hero. He is what I hope God and man see me to be.